[XeTeX] \font usage

Wlodek Bzyl matwb at univ.gda.pl
Sun May 14 16:53:10 CEST 2006

> Either
> 	\font\Z = "URW Gothic L/BI"
> or
> 	\font\Z = "URW Gothic L-Demi Oblique"
> should work.
>
> However, I just tried this on my Linux machine and it doesn't work
> reliably.... partly, at least, because the only version of URW Gothic
> L present (on my system, at least) is in .pfb format, which XeTeX
> doesn't handle well. I think if it were .otf, it would work properly.

   While adapting plain.tex to Latin Modern font family I tried

\font \X = "Latin Modern Roman/R" \X
Filmuj rzeź żądań, pość, gnęb chłystków!

\font \Y = "Latin Modern Roman-Regular 10" \Y
Filmuj rzeź żądań, pość, gnęb chłystków!

   and \X changes font to LMRoman10-CapsRegular (so /R doesn't work)
   and \Y changes font to LMRoman10-Regular (so it works)

   1. FYI, the sentence above contains all 32 Polish characters.
      Something like the English sentence:
      A QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG.)
   2. Latin Modern OTF fonts, version 1.0 are available from
      ftp://ftp.bop.com.pl/pub/lm/lm1.00bas.zip

   Thanks for your hints.

--Włodek Bzyl