[XeTeX] Versions and AAT features in Hoefler Text

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri May 12 12:13:06 CEST 2006

On my main setup there are two versions of Hoefler Text, and I just
realized these differ largely in their AAT features. Oddly enough,
the older version in the Classic font folder seems to include
significantly more features than the more recent version in the OS X
font folder. In particular, the latter does not include, apparently,
lining or uppercase numbers and only includes old-style or lowercase
numbers, which makes it inappropriate for mathematical typesetting (I
do like oldstyle digits, but these look odd in mathematical
equations, especially when appearing in subscripts and superscripts).

For example, here's what AAT-info.tex yields for the older version
3.7d1 of Hoefler Text Regular in /System Folder/Fonts/:

> All Typographic Features [0]
> ☒ All Type Features [0]
> Ligatures [1]
> ☒ Common Ligatures [2]
> ☐ Rare Ligatures [4]
> ☐ Diphthong Ligatures [10]
> Letter Case [3]
> ◉ Upper & Lower Case [0]
> ○ All Capitals [1]
> ○ Small Caps [3]
> Number Spacing [6]
> ○ Monospaced Numbers [0]
> ◉ Proportional Numbers [1]
> Smart Swashes [8]
> ☐ Archaic Long s Swash [8]
> Diacritics [9]
> ◉ Show Diacritics [0]
> ○ No Change [2]
> Vertical Position [10]
> ◉ Normal Vertical Position [0]
> ○ Superiors [1]
> ○ Inferiors [2]
> ○ Ordinals [3]
> Fractions [11]
> ○ No Fractions [0]
> ◉ Diagonal Fractions [2]
> Typographic Extras [14]
> ☒ Smart Quotes [8]
> Mathematical Extras [15]
> ☐ Hyphen to Minus [0]
> ☐ Asterisk to Multiply [2]
> Character Alternates [17]
> ◉ No Alternates [0]
> ○ Alternates [1]
> ○ Small Caps Alternates [2]
> Style Options [19]
> ◉ No Style Options [0]
> ○ Engraved Text [2]
> Number Case [21]
> ◉ Lower Case Numbers [0]
> ○ Upper Case Numbers [1]

and here's what it yields for the more recent version 5.0d7e2 in /
Library/Fonts/:

> All Typographic Features [0]
> ☒ All Type Features [0]
> Ligatures [1]
> ☒ Common Ligatures [2]
> ☐ Rare Ligatures [4]
> ☐ Diphthong Ligatures [10]
> Letter Case [3]
> ◉ Upper & Lower Case [0]
> ○ All Capitals [1]
> ○ Small Caps [3]
> Number Spacing [6]
> ○ Monospaced Numbers [0]
> ◉ Proportional Numbers [1]
> Smart Swashes [8]
> ☐ Archaic Long s Swash [8]
> Vertical Position [10]
> ◉ Normal Vertical Position [0]
> ○ Superiors [1]
> ○ Inferiors [2]
> ○ Ordinals [3]
> Character Alternates [17]
> ◉ No Alternates [0]
> ○ Alternates [1]
> ○ Small Caps Alternates [2]
> Style Options [19]
> ◉ No Style Options [0]
> ○ Engraved Text [2]

Is there something I'm not doing properly, or is this normal?

Bruno Voisin