[XeTeX] Fwd: MetaPost with XeTeX

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu May 11 11:57:55 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 11 May 2006, at 9:35 am, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> Otared Kavian wrote:
>>
>>> which contains a strange ^^M at the beginning of many lines (if I am
>>> not mistaken ^^M means a carriage return?).
>>>
>> according to taco hoekwater, the following code should be removed
>> from xetex:
>>
>>  if s < 32 then begin
>>         { control char: ^^X }
>>         print_visible_char("^"); print_visible_char("^");
>>         print_visible_char(s+64);
>>  end ...
>>

> Possibly; it depends whether we want XeTeX to show control chars
> using the ^^ convention, the way TeX does. I'm not sure why/how
> ConTeXt is generating this stuff.... does it mean \newlinechar is not

i need this (for instance) in order to do obey line endings in included
mp and other code
> set correctly? Given that as literal characters, the control
> character codes are invisible/indistinguishable in most fonts/editors/
> etc., I'm not sure if I want to lose the ability to make them
> "visible" in this way.

hm, i can make 'm visible in the editor i use -)
> For example, I sometimes write macros that depend on characters such
> as <TAB> to delimit arguments (if they're reading data in a tab-
> delimited format); the fact that <TAB> shows up as ^^I in the console

isn't that up to the editor (e.g. to show a [tab] relayed symbol)
instead of relying on an ancient (non standard) ^^M kind of visualization?
> (e.g., error messages) is very helpful in recognizing the distinction
> (critical to TeX when it scans the text) between <TAB> and <SPACE>.

but writing to the console (also locales involved) is not the same as a
file (as-is)
> Similarly, ^^M is sometimes used, and again, making it visible can be
> pretty helpful.
>
> Is this what the "-8bit" option in TeX/Web2C is about? I guess it
> should be possible to support this, so that you can choose whether to
> make the control chars visible as ^^ sequences or leave them alone.
> Would that be helpful?

indeed

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE