[XeTeX] Microtypography?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed May 10 23:09:15 CEST 2006

Le 10 mai 06 à 21:48, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> So the whole paragraphing algorithm
> will have to be much more aware of the two-level character/glyph
> model than it is at present; right now, XeTeX works in terms of
> characters, and the details of individual glyphs are largely hidden
> by the rendering technology (ATSUI or ICU/OpenType).

In case that can be expressed in not too technical terms: what's the
difference between character and glyph? Character a logical unit (a
Unicode code point, maybe) and a glyph a physical unit (ie a set of
pen strokes)? It's not that important probably, but I'm just
interested in understanding what you mean there.

Bruno Voisin