[XeTeX] Correct LaTeX-logo – how?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun May 7 16:24:16 CEST 2006

Dear Joanna,

>> If you find that a particular package is redefining \TeX, etc., and
>> you want to preserve the original definition that doesn't mess with
>> the typeface, you might be able to do something like this in your
>> preamble:
>>
>> 	\let\originalTeX = \TeX
>> 	\usepackage{some-package-that-redefines-TeX}
>> 	\let\TeX = \originalTeX
>
> It doesn't work for me, I'm getting this error:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Sure enough, this doesn't work with the babel package. I can put
other \usepackage statements in there without problems, but babel
must be doing something tricker. Sorry!

I guess this is a question for the LaTeX experts.... what's the best
way to overcome Babel's redefinition of the logos? It's probably
happening because Babel tries to ensure that the logos are set with a
certain font encoding (in case you're using Russian or something for
your main text), but this means that it defeats fontspec's use of the
"U" encoding for Unicode fonts.

What we really need is a package that handles hyphenation-language
switching, generated text ("Chapter", "Figure", etc), but doesn't try
to mess with input and font encodings, leaving XeTeX free to deal
with Unicode everywhere. Anyone care to work on such a "mini-Babel"
package designed to work more smoothly with XeTeX? :)