[XeTeX] accessing fonts from TeX tree and glyphs without Unicode slot

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Thu May 4 14:49:39 CEST 2006

Mojca,

it was good to see you (and Jonathan!) in Bachotek!
> - Is it possible to use OpenType fonts that reside in TeX tree instead
> of having to install them to the system first? (There are dozens of
> Latin Modern fonts for example that I never use otherwise.)

I believe this is one of the feature requests that were suggested here.
It would be very useful if accessing fonts through pathnames were
possible, like:
\font\caslonsc = "D:\fontslib\Adobe\ACaslonPro-Regular.otf:+smcp" at 16pt
\caslonc Text in small caps
\bye
> - How can I access the glyphs which are not part of Unicode (I know
> the name of the glyphs, but that letters don't exist in Unicode)?
> (OpenType)

I don't know if accessing glyphs through glyph IDs or glyph names is
possible in XeTeX. However, in most OpenType fonts, each glyph is
accessible through a combination of a Unicode codepoint of the "parent"
glyph plus a set of OpenType Layout features. In many OpenType fonts,
glyphs that are not default representations of Unicode characters have
Private Unicode Area (PUA) codepoints.

A.

--

Adam Twardoch
http://www.twardoch.com/

When J. Robert Oppenheimer said "I am become death, the destroyer
of worlds", he was not referring to the atomic bomb. He was
referring to the Chuck Norris halloween costume he was wearing.