[XeTeX] Using \XeTeXpicfile \XeTeXpdffile command

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu May 4 12:25:43 CEST 2006

On 4 May 2006, at 12:01 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 3 mai 06 à 21:54, Christophe DAMAS a écrit :
>
>> I try to typset the PicFileSample.tex file which is given in the
>> SampleDoc of the XeTeX distribution, but I get the same message.
>>
>> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.99 (Web2C 7.5.3)
>> (./PicFileSample.tex
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> <argument> \XeTeXpicfile
>>                           "xetex.jpg"
>> \centerline #1->\line {\hss #1
>>                                \hss }
>> l.12 \centerline{\XeTeXpicfile "xetex.jpg"}
>
> It seems you are not running in extended mode, which is required for
> \XeTeXpicfile to be recognized.

Right. The XeTeX installer, if it finds your existing TeX
installation properly, adds lines for the xetex and xelatex formats
to the fmtutil.cnf file:

# XeTeX formats
xetex	xetex	-	*xetex.ini
xelatex	xetex	language.dat	*xelatex.ini

Note the "*" in the 4th field where the initialization file is
specified. This means that the formats built by the installer should
have extended mode enabled.

However, if you install XeTeX "by hand", or build the format files
directly from the command line using xetex, rather than fmtutil(-
sys), it's easy to forget the "*" and end up with format files that
don't support the TeX language extensions.