[XeTeX] Spurious text (font name) in PDF output.

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed May 3 16:49:46 CEST 2006

Le 3 mai 06 à 15:40, Will Robertson a écrit :

> Well, I just tried the sample file and I *do* get the problem. Which
> is terribly embarrassing for me. Thanks, Berteun, for the later
> minimal example. I'll sort out what's happening, hopefully, tonight.

This seems to be caused by the call of the font "Times (0)" in
encoding OMS when \textbullet is invoked by \item. The file "OMSTimes
(0).fd" is called, with XeTeX failing due to its absence of handling
of file names with spaces, and the part of the file name after the
space being considered as text. From the log file:

LaTeX Font Info:    Try loading font information for OMS+Times (0) on
input lin
e 8.
LaTeX Font Info:    No file OMSTimes (0).fd. on input line 8.
LaTeX Font Info:    Font shape `OMS/Times (0)/m/n' undefined
(Font)              using `OMS/cmsy/m/n' instead
(Font)              for symbol `textbullet' on input line 8.

This in turns refers to the definition of \textbullet in omsenc.def:

\DeclareTextSymbol{\textbullet}{OMS}{15}            % "0F

Actually the call of "Times (0)" begins earlier, at \begin{document},
but this time (sic!) in U encoding:

LaTeX Font Info:    Encoding `OT1' has changed to `U' for symbol font
(Font)              `operators' in the math version `normal' on input
line 6.
LaTeX Font Info:    Overwriting symbol font `operators' in version
`normal'
(Font)                  OT1/cmr/m/n --> U/Times (0)/m/n on input line 6.

As to why the suffix " (0)" added to the font name, I've no idea.
Internal fontspec "grande cuisine", I imagine!

Probably the simplest way to fix this would be to make the use of the
xunicode package mandatory with fontspec, given that it seems
unnatural in any case to use XeLaTeX without xunicode (and without
Mapping=tex-text too).

Bruno Voisin