[XeTeX] XeTeX for Linux

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue May 2 20:19:41 CEST 2006

On 2 May 2006, at 5:28 pm, Sukhi Venkat (TnQ) wrote:

[Re: building on Fedora Core 3]

> I installed ImageMagick-6.2.7-2.i386.rpm.
>
> but got the following error message!
> ../../../../TeX/texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeX_ext.c: In function
> `loadOTfont':
> ../../../../TeX/texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeX_ext.c:556: warning: passing
> arg 4 of `
> createLayoutEngine' from incompatible pointer type
> ../../../../TeX/texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeX_ext.c:556: warning: passing
> arg 5 of `
> createLayoutEngine' from incompatible pointer type

These warnings are harmless (though I should clean up the code to
eliminate them, of course)....

> ../../../../TeX/texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeX_ext.c:1765:30: wand/magick-
> wand.h: No
> such file or directory

....but this is not; it means that the header files for the "magick-
wand" interface that XeTeX uses were not installed, or at least not
in a place that the compiler could find. And this leads to the
following errors, as the various data types and functions are unknown.

It may be that the ImageMagick package you installed was only a user
package (containing the libraries and executable tools, but not the
header files needed for software development). See if FC3 has an
"ImageMagick-devel" package or some similar name. (This applies to
Fontconfig and Freetype2, as well ..... you need development packages
installed on your system, not only runtime ones, in order to compile
a program that uses these libraries. But I think if the build reached
this point, you probably have those already.)