[XeTeX] (no subject)

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon May 1 12:18:11 CEST 2006

On 01/05/2006, at 17:45 , Malte Rosenau wrote:

>> I updated my Latex. Before I did it I had no trouble to run XeLaTex
>> on a file with the following preamble:

>> \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
>> \usepackage{ucs}
>
> I wonder if this makes any sense with XeTeX or LaTeX in general.
> Could someone enlighten me please?

These packages are meaningless in XeTeX+LaTeX and will probably give
you errors at some stage. Input is assumed to be UTF-8, although this
can be adjusted (see XeTeX-notes.pdf).
Output is unicode unless legacy fonts are used.

By the way, the ucs package has been deprecated in LaTeX by the utf8x
option of inputenc:
   \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}

Sufficient support for utf8 input is provided by the [utf8] option.

Will