[XeTeX] i-Installer, XeTeX and Intel Mac

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Mar 21 23:08:06 CET 2006

On 21 Mar 2006, at 9:31 pm, Anders Andersen wrote:

> When using the i-Installer to install XeTeX on an Intel Mac
> (MacBook Pro) I got the following error:
>
>   XeTeX cannot be configured because fmtutil has not been installed
> yet.
>
> This is due to the paths used in the xetex.configure script.  The
> paths includes
>
>   /bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
>
> but this should be
>
>   /bin/i386-apple-darwin-current
>
> on an Intel Mac.  A workaround is to install both the ppc and i386
> binaries of TeX and put the .../bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
> path last in your PATH.  xetex (and friends) installed here will
> work OK on an Intel Mac.

You're right; the XeTeX package has not been updated for the Intel
Macs yet.... if I could get my hands on one for testing, it might
have happened sooner! ;-)

I'm informed by those fortunate enough to have new machines that it
runs OK on them, and the current development version builds and runs
natively, too. So I hope to include Intel binaries in the next
release, with an updated installer. Sorry for the inconvenience in
the meantime!