[XeTeX] Ideal way to handle fonts

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Jun 26 20:54:35 CEST 2006

On Jun 26, 2006, at 2:28 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> This suggests that the name "Bauer Bodoni Std 1" ought to work (but
> of course I can't try this here).
>
> Can't imagine why they decided it needed a "1" on the end.....

Legacy left-over from when Bauer Bodoni was broken up into two
different bitmap screen font suitcases, Bauer Bodoni 1 and 2 ---
adding the `` 1'' works here on the Mac.

and when I look at the fonts in Linotype Font Explorer they actually
show up with the names:

Bauer Bodoni Std 1 Bold
Bauer Bodoni Std 1 Bold Italic
Bauer Bodoni Std 1 Italic
Bauer Bodoni Std 1 Roman
Bauer Bodoni Std 2 Black
Bauer Bodoni Std 2 Black Condensed
Bauer Bodoni Std 2 Black Italic
Bauer Bodoni Std 2 Bold Condensed

which says interesting things about getting at the black and
condensed variants.

Apparently I'll need to install TTX on my pen slate and look into
font information using it as well.

Minion Pro has a similar difficulty in that the Black weight is only
available as an Std version.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.