[XeTeX] wrong paper size (geometry and truedimen)

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sat Jun 24 22:01:29 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 24 Jun 2006, at 7:16 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> Using xdvipdfmx code from today afternoon (and xetex code from June
>> 21st
>> at 22:55) I don't get the right papersize with geometry.
>>
>> I guess this is due to the use of the mag option in geometry, that
>> makes
>> xetex or xdvipdfmx understand truecm as cm and calculates the “true
>> centimeters” of the real papersize. In the example, 496.063 x 701.575
>> pts, which are with mag=1050 472,44 x 668,17 “truepts".
>>
>> I wonder whether xetex (or xdvipdfmx) handle “true units” right
>> with and
>>  without geometry (under different circumstances than the ones
>> explained
>> by me).
>
> I don't know.... sounds like something to investigate further.
>
> As far as I know, 'true' units should be handled correctly within
> xetex; but it's possible that in the process of passing the values on
> to the output driver, something doesn't work right.
>
> Do you get the correct paper size if you don't use the mag option?

Sorry, I forgot to mention. Without the mag option, it works fine.
Without the mag option there is no difference between magnified
dimensions and real ones. And if it multiplies true units by 1000/mag,
it always be right, because multiplication will be by one.

> Actually, xetex should be happiest with the [pdftex] driver option to
> geometry, as it supports the \pdfpagewidth and \pdfpageheight
> commands. But the [dvipdfm] option ought to work too, so I don't
> think that's the real problem. (Though maybe mag would be handled
> differently by the different driver options?)

Paper size is handled wrong using either dvipdfm or pdftex driver option.

I hope it helps,

Pablo