[XeTeX] Chnese docs: traditional => simplified

ahoenig at jjay.cuny.edu ahoenig at jjay.cuny.edu
Wed Jun 21 14:01:29 CEST 2006

I successfully typeset  a Chinese/English document using (plain) xetex.993 and
traditional Chinese characters.  I would like to
typeset the same document again, this time replacing the traditional characters by their
simplified counterparts.  In TeXShop, I
opened the source, selected all of it, and converted from traditional to simplified using
the
TeXShop>Services>ChineseTextConversion tab.  As far as I can tell, this was properly
done---I can see the simplified characters
in the source.  However, after typesetting, all these simplified characters appear in the
output as square boxes.  What am I doing
wrong, and how can I fix it?  Thanks!!

---Alan