[XeTeX] Simon Spiegel's problem with footnotes in XeTeX

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Tue Jun 20 20:41:38 CEST 2006

>> It turned out I had an
>> old version of fontspec installed at /Library/tetex/share/
>> texmf.local/
>> tex/xelatex and for reasons I don't understand this version was used
>> instead of the one I had installed at ~/Library/texmf.
>>

> What does "kpsewhich --progname=xelatex --show-path=tex" return on
> your system (in Terminal)?
>
> Normally the output should start with (inserting line breaks for
> readibility):
>
> .
> /Users/<yourusername>/Library/texmf/xetex/xelatex//
> !!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/xetex/xelatex//
> !!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/xetex/xelatex//
> !!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/xetex/xelatex//
> !!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/xetex/xelatex//
>
> If the output is different on your setup, then that would indicate
> something's wrong (or that you have a custom install of TeX, not
> involving i-Installer).

It turns out the problem was really simple: I had my xetex stuff in ~/
Library/texmf/xetex/latex instead of xelatex. I wasn't aware that tex
et al. was that strict about the location of packages, I thought it
was enough if you put the stuff in ~/Library/texmf and that the
subdirectories are mainly for the user's convenience.

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"In a world getting more and more democratic, film directing is the last
resort for dictators." Francis Ford Coppola