[XeTeX] Differing font name handling betwixt Mac OS X and W32 (and Linux?) XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jun 19 21:37:09 CEST 2006

On 19 Jun 2006, at 8:27 pm, William Adams wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2006, at 3:08 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> Would one of you who has this font mind dumping the complete 'name'
>> table using a tool such as TTX or ftxdumperfuser (from Apple's font
>> tools package, see <http://developer.apple.com/textfonts/Fonttools/
>> Index.html>), and sending me a copy? (Off-list is fine; no need to
>> clutter everyone's mailboxes with it!) I'd be interested to see how
>> they've organized the naming, and perhaps get xetex to work more
>> smoothly with this and similar fonts.
>
> I'm trying, but I'm not wrapping what's left of my mind around the
> command line options for ftxdumperfuser. Sorry, I'm dense.
>
> I tried a bunch of things, but I keep getting error messages.
>
> Assuming the font file is in:
> /Volumes/Adobe\ Font\ Folio\ OTE/Western\ Fonts/Aldus\ LT\ Std/
> AldusLTStd-Roman.otf
>
> and I want to write to a file:
> /Users/williamadams/Desktop/AldusDump.txt
>
> I tried:
>
> ftxdumperfuser -A d -n -o /Users/williamadams/Desktop/AldusDump.txt /
> Volumes/Adobe\ Font\ Folio\ OTE/Western\ Fonts/Aldus\ LT\ Std/
> AldusLTStd-Roman.otf
>
> which ran w/o errors, but didn't put anything into AldusDump.txt
> AFAICT

-A d (auto dump) means it will write the output to an automatically-
named file, which ends up in the same location as the source font.
Only /Volumes/Adobe\ Font\ Folio\ OTE/... is probably read-only, so
who knows....

I think an appropriate incantation would be something like

   ftxdumperfuser -t name -o OUTPUTFILE FONTFILE

(with names/paths as appropriate).

And yes, I agree, the ftx.... tools are pretty confusing!