[XeTeX] Differing font name handling betwixt Mac OS X and W32 (and Linux?) XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jun 19 21:08:02 CEST 2006

On 19 Jun 2006, at 3:23 pm, William Adams wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \setromanfont{AldusLTStd-Roman}
>> \begin{document}
>> This is \fontname\font.
>> The italic is \textit{\fontname\font},
>> and bold is \textbf{\fontname\font}.
>> \end{document}
>>
>> print? It should give you xetex's idea of the full font names, not
>> necessarily the name you gave to fontspec.
>>
>> (I don't have the font, or I'd try it myself, obviously!)
>
> Got it. Sorry for being dense. I was thinking about some sort of
> command-line tool I think (not sure, only just finished my first
> cuppa).
>
> The result was:
>
> This is "Aldus LT Std Roman".

But using \font\x="Aldus LT Std Roman" yourself doesn't find it?
Grr... that means NSFontManager doesn't recognize it by that name.

Would one of you who has this font mind dumping the complete 'name'
table using a tool such as TTX or ftxdumperfuser (from Apple's font
tools package, see <http://developer.apple.com/textfonts/Fonttools/
Index.html>), and sending me a copy? (Off-list is fine; no need to
clutter everyone's mailboxes with it!) I'd be interested to see how
they've organized the naming, and perhaps get xetex to work more
smoothly with this and similar fonts.