[XeTeX] Differing font name handling betwixt Mac OS X and W32 (and Linux?) XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jun 19 15:20:08 CEST 2006

On 19 Jun 2006, at 2:04 pm, William Adams wrote:

>> "AldusLTStd" looks like a postscript name or legacy mac/windows
>> family name; it would be nice to know the font's preferred opentype
>> family name, if any. What does \fontname\font produce when you're
>> using this font?
>
> Not understanding what you're asking here.

I mean, what does something like

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont{AldusLTStd-Roman}
\begin{document}
This is \fontname\font.
The italic is \textit{\fontname\font},
and bold is \textbf{\fontname\font}.
\end{document}

print? It should give you xetex's idea of the full font names, not
necessarily the name you gave to fontspec.

(I don't have the font, or I'd try it myself, obviously!)