[XeTeX] Optical sizing (was: Feedback on W32 Port of XeTeX v0.994)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jun 15 23:38:57 CEST 2006

On 13 Jun 2006, at 3:09 pm, Toralf Senger wrote:

>> This sounds like a bug; xetex should be able to find the various
> optical versions, provided Garamond Premier Pro has a 'size'
> feature in
> the OpenType tables.

I've been working on the Linux/Windows font code so that it better
matches the Mac behavior, where optical sizes do work properly. I'll
be updating the code in Subversion tomorrow, I expect, and new builds
should follow.

However, in the meantime I've also realized that some of the 'size'
data in Garamond Premier Pro is *incorrect*, and therefore the
results you get with XeTeX will still not be entirely as expected. In
particular, compare:

GaramondPremrPro-ItCapt.otf:design size 6 pt, size range (6 pt, 8.9
pt], subfamily ID 6, subfamily name Italic
GaramondPremrPro-It.otf:design size 6 pt, size range (6 pt, 8.9 pt],
subfamily ID 6, subfamily name Italic

So "Garamond Premier Pro Italic Caption" and "Garamond Premier Pro
Italic" have identical 'size' data; but they are in fact distinct
designs, and the latter is clearly meant to be the 11pt design size.
I'm afraid xetex can't figure that out by magic, though; it can only
go by what it actually finds in the font!