[XeTeX] possible bug in xdvipdfmx

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Wed Jun 14 19:02:26 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2006, at 4:05 pm, Ralf Stubner wrote:
>
>> Pablo Rodríguez <oinos at web.de> writes:
>>
>>> Just accidentally I have discovered that xdvipdfmx embeds the TrueType
>>> font many times if different sizes are selected (which seems to be wrong).
>> I can reporduce this behaviour with different TrueType fonts.
>> [...]
>
> Yes; this is a known issue in [x]dvipdfmx -- see the comment
> beginning at line 1312 of pdfdev.c in the dvipdfmx or xdvipdfmx
> source code. Suggested patches welcome.... ;)

I'm afraid I cannot code, but at least (x)dvipdfmx handles Gentium
TrueType right when the dvi file comes from Omega/Lambda using OFM files.

This is really weird (from my ignorant point of view), since (x)dvipdfmx
seem to have problems embedding TrueType fonts when using TFM files.

Could it be something related to the way TFM files for TrueType and
OpenType fonts are generated?

(If XeTeX relies on ttf2tfm there might be a problem there, since it is
unmaintained right now.)

I hope it helps,

Pablo