[XeTeX] STFangsong punctuation kerning

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jun 14 10:37:25 CEST 2006

On 14 Jun 2006, at 1:32 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 12/06/2006, at 22:43 , Jjgod Jiang wrote:
>
>> 2. prevent extra spaces between 2 lines in Chinese
>> (aka. insert % at the end of line), for example:
>>
>> 中文
>> 测试
>>
>> without a '%' after "文",there will be an extra space between 文
>> and 测,
>> which is usually not we want when we prefered to break the lines
>> manually.
>
> Another thought: doesn't fontmapping support regex, Jonathan?

Yes (well, not full regexes, but a partial implementation). But....

> Could a
> "space between ideographs" mapping help out here?

....no, because the "space" is not a character that will ever be seen
by the font mapping. By the time strings of text are run through the
font mapping, the space (or newline) has become interword "glue" in
TeX's current horizontal list; it's not a "text character" at all.