[XeTeX] Placing .pdfs w/ crop and trim boxes

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jun 14 10:34:39 CEST 2006

On 13 Jun 2006, at 7:59 pm, William Adams wrote:

> I've gotten pretty far along on re-creating a journal currently done
> in Quark XPress (~123 crashes cumulative YTD for this and other
> projects) in XeLaTeX, and am now at the point of placing graphics.

It's tempting to ask about the corresponding xelatex crash count, but
perhaps that would be rash..... ;)

> Cropping in Adobe Acrobat (having their crop box set) isn't respected
> when they're placed --- is this a known issue? (I couldn't find
> anything on it) and what causes it?

Not a known issue to me, mainly because it's not something I've ever
tried to do. xetex uses Quartz functions to access a PDF file, and
uses the media box to determine its size. I guess it should be using
the crop box instead, though; it just hasn't come to my attention
because I don't crop and place PDFs! :)

> Also, will it be possible to set the crop, trim and media box in
> XeTeX? Currently I have to manually set the crop box in Acrobat
> before sending things through Prinergy.

That would be useful, I guess... I'll need to investigate how to do
it through Quartz.

Is this supported by [x]dvipdfmx, and if so how is it specified in
the source document?