[XeTeX] possible bug in xdvipdfmx

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Jun 13 17:05:36 CEST 2006

Pablo Rodríguez <oinos at web.de> writes:

> Just accidentally I have discovered that xdvipdfmx embeds the TrueType
> font many times if different sizes are selected (which seems to be wrong).

I can reporduce this behaviour with different TrueType fonts. pdffonts
lists:

name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
FDAXKU+FreeSerif                     CID TrueType yes yes yes      5  0
UBLDOT+FreeSerif                     CID TrueType yes yes yes      7  0
WBMNJL+FreeSerif                     CID TrueType yes yes yes      9  0
SXJCXG+FreeSerif                     CID TrueType yes yes yes     11  0
VSVIUR+FreeSerifItalic               CID TrueType yes yes yes     13  0
DAUDZG+FreeSerifBold                 CID TrueType yes yes yes     15  0
ZVHLYY+FreeSerifBoldItalic           CID TrueType yes yes yes     17  0

> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setromanfont{FreeSerif}
> \begin{document}
> \textsc{Puellae bonae amicae sunt.}
>
> {\Huge χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά.}
>
> {\Large χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά.}
>
> {\tiny χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά.}
>
> {\em χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά.}
>
> {\bf χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά.}
>
> {\em\bf χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά.}
>
> {Buen ejemplo.} {\bf Mal ejemplo.} {\em Buen ejemplo.} {\bf\em Buen
> ejemplo.}
> \end{document}
>
> If you try to copy the text using Acrobat, the Greek sentence will be
> copied only in bold, italics and bold italics fontfaces, but not with
> non-standard sizes.

I can reporduce this, too, with the excepetion that there is no 'bold
italic' greek in your example. You are using the debricated LaTeX 2.09
switch \bf instead of the correct \bfseries ...

In addition, I can use copy&paste on all sizes of the greek text, once I
include this phrase in normal size and regular face, too. This does not
solve the issue with multiple embedded versions, though. Very odd ...

> I don't experience this error when using OpenType fonts.

Indeed, no such problems for PostScript/CFF flavoured OpenType fonts.

cheerio
ralf