[XeTeX] XeTeX for Linux (first experience's)

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Tue Jun 13 15:51:29 CEST 2006

Le 13 juin 06, à 13:13, Peter Heslin a écrit :

>> Maybe I'm perverted by Sanskrit; as far as I know, no edition of
>> Sanskrit texts ever introduced etymological patterns which are totally
>> unknown in Sanskrit manuscripts.
>
> I do not see what relevance Sanskrit practice has for Greek.  Each
> language has its own typographical norms.

It was only a comparison; sanskritists haven't created their own norms.
Modern Greek has its  typographical norms; ancient Greek doesn't have
any but the norms which hellenists want it to have.

> By all means distribute your patterns if you wish, but please try not
> give the impression that they reflect an established school of
> typographical practice.  As with most matters of typography, individual
> "taste" is something that should only be indulged when you know
> extremely well what the rules are that you are breaking.

I wasn't trying anything of that kind. My only intention, when I
created those patterns, was to be able to have hyphenated Greek texts
with XeTeX since nothing allowed it then, and when I did it I hadn't
heard of Filippou's paterns. Anyway I suppose it doesn't hurt much if
two possibilities are offered to users. Somebody who is typesetting for
his personal use is free to choose whatever he likes. If it's meant to
be published I guess he will know of the norms prescribed by the
impressive authority you mentioned and follow them.

Best wishes,

Yves