[XeTeX] XeTeX, ConTeXt, and utf-8 hyphenation patterns.

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jun 13 11:49:25 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2006, at 8:25 am, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>> On a more general level, if both ConTeXt and XeTeX are engaged in
>>> converting legacy TeX hyphenation patterns to utf-8, should they be
>>> coordinated in order to avoid duplication of effort?
>>>

>> anyone can use the patterns; of course bugs need to be sorted out, but
>> given my experiences with pattern maintainance i will not drop them
>> from
>> context; too much has gone wrong in the past; but you can consider
>> them
>> to be generic so indeed we can avoid duplication of work.
>>

> Indeed.... I have no desire to duplicate work. :)
>
> My main concern at this point relates to packaging and co-ordination
> between the different macro packages that load patterns; we can't
> expect latex users to be dependent on having context installed, or
> vice versa. Patterns belong in a base tex installation, where they
> can be available to any higher-level macro package.

well, the problem is that until now, most pattern files were basically
latex oriented files; the same is kind of true with fonts: changes in
related files and names take place, and are synced with latex and then
bites contex users; i've kind of given up on that
> This needs to be sorted out among a wider group than this mailing
> list....

well, installing the lang-* pat files only is an option, as is adding
tex/context/patterns to the xetex input path in the xetex input path
variable (although i believe that the tree is searched anyway);

also, given what people have to install nowadays, installing the context
ipackage is not that big a burden (xetex binaries and associated libs
are pretty big themselves anyway)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE