[XeTeX] Feedback on W32 Port of XeTeX v0.994

Jjgod Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 11:33:15 CEST 2006

Hi Toralf,

I happened to use the same font (Adobe Garamond Premier Pro),
fc-list on my system (Linux) gave the following results:

Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Disp:style=Italic Display,Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Smbd:style=Semibold Italic,Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Capt:style=Bold Italic
Caption,Bold Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Subh:style=Subhead,Regular
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Smbd Disp:style=Semibold
Display,RegularGaramond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro
Capt:style=Caption,Regular
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Med Disp:style=Medium Display,Regular
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Med Subh:style=Medium Italic
Subhead,Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Smbd Subh:style=Semibold
Subhead,RegularGaramond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Subh:style=Bold
Subhead,Bold
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Smbd Subh:style=Semibold
Italic Subhead,Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Disp:style=Display,Regular
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Disp:style=Bold Display,Bold
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro:style=Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro:style=Bold
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Capt:style=Italic Caption,Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Med:style=Medium Italic,Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Med Disp:style=Medium Italic
Display,Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Subh:style=Bold Italic
Subhead,Bold Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Lt Disp:style=Light Italic
Display,Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Med Subh:style=Medium Subhead,Regular
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Disp:style=Bold Italic
Display,Bold Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro:style=Bold Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Smbd Disp:style=Semibold
Italic Display,Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro:style=Regular
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Med Capt:style=Medium Caption,Regular
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Lt Disp:style=Light Display,Regular
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Smbd Capt:style=Semibold
Caption,RegularGaramond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Smbd
Capt:style=Semibold Italic Caption,Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Med Capt:style=Medium Italic
Caption,Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Capt:style=Bold Caption,Bold
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Med:style=Medium,Regular
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Subh:style=Italic Subhead,Italic
Garamond Premier Pro,Garamond Premr Pro Smbd:style=Semibold,Regular

I'm pretty sure fc-list on xetex-w32 will give you some thing similar,
though there might be some problems with the fc-list port (yes, I've tried
xetex-w32 too).

So, according to fc-list output, Adobe Garamond Premier Pro have
some font naming problems, I'll suggest you to avoid using font names
like "Garamond Premier Pro", but use "Garamond Premr Pro",
"Garamond Premr Pro Disp', etc. IMHO, it should be fixed by the font
vendor...

Hope this information will help.

2006/6/13, Toralf Senger <Senger at mpimp-golm.mpg.de>:
> Third thing: XeTeX did not recognise the Optical Versions of the biggest font I have access to: The Premier Pro version of Garamond. It only included the Caption version (for all pt sizes); when I deleted this file, it included the Display version etc. fc-match gave me totaly unreproducable results, fc-list did at least list all 32 members of this family.

J.