[XeTeX] STFangsong punctuation kerning

Jjgod Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 15:13:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

2006/6/11, Likai Liu <liulk at cs.bu.edu>:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using STFangsong to typeset a Chinese document. This font provides
> full-width ideograph punctuation marks, which is necessary to maintain
> the grid looking of a well-printed Chinese document. However, if two
> full-width punctuation marks appear right next to each other, which
> often happens in a sentence with quotation marks or parentheses, there
> is a lot of redundant space. The solution is to "merge" two punctuation
> marks into one block.
>
> But how to do this?

AFAIK, Zhang Linbo and Sun Wenchang provides a package called CJKpunct,
which did exactly what you want. But the package can't be used by XeTeX
now, since it's developed for the CJK macro package and GBK encording only.

Recently I'm working on a XeTeX preprocessor for Chinese document to
solve the following problems:

1. mixed-script font selection & switching.
2. prevent extra spaces between 2 lines in Chinese
(aka. insert % at the end of line), for example:

ÖÐÎÄ
²âÊÔ

without a '%' after "ÎÄ"£¬there will be an extra space between ÎÄ and ²â,
which is usually not we want when we prefered to break the lines
manually.

3. the problem you described above, using similar way like CJKpunct.

I decided to solve those problems in preprocessor way because inner
TeX solution (write a TeX macro package for that) will be ugly and slow.

J.