[XeTeX] wrong font match and missing characters

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Sat Jun 10 11:18:16 CEST 2006

Pablo Rodríguez <oinos at web.de> writes:

> I guess you have used the TrueType version of GFS Didot, that makes ae >
> æ by default. The TrueType version has also an incorrect character
> mapping (try to type ä ö ü ß with it selected). The OpenType version has
> both bugs (and others) fixed.

Actually I am using an OpenType version. But I have downloaded it quite
some time ago (I think there wasn't even a TrueType version at that
time). Maybe there has been an update.

> With the OpenType version the bold version problem disappears.

You mention an TTF->Type1 conversion in your other message. I also have
a Type1 version installed, which has been created with otftotfm/cfftot1.
Most likely this is the reason for the confusion on my system. If I list
fonts with name "GFS Didot", I only get the OTF version with proper
style identification:

$ fc-list  "GFS Didot" file family style
/home/ralf/.fonts/GFSDidotBoldItalic.otf: GFS Didot,GFS Didot Rg:style=Bold Italic
/home/ralf/.fonts/GFSDidotBold.otf: GFS Didot,GFS Didot Rg:style=Bold
/home/ralf/.fonts/GFSDidotRegular.otf: GFS Didot,GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/home/ralf/.fonts/GFSDidotItalic.otf: GFS Didot,GFS Didot Rg:style=Italic

If I use "GFS Didot Rg", the Type1 version is also listed, but for
reasons I don't understand all Type1 fonts have 'style=Regular':

$ fc-list  "GFS Didot Rg" file family style | sort
/home/ralf/.fonts/GFSDidotBoldItalic.otf: GFS Didot,GFS Didot Rg:style=Bold Italic
/home/ralf/.fonts/GFSDidotBold.otf: GFS Didot,GFS Didot Rg:style=Bold
/home/ralf/.fonts/GFSDidotItalic.otf: GFS Didot,GFS Didot Rg:style=Italic
/home/ralf/.fonts/GFSDidotRegular.otf: GFS Didot,GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/type1/tex-fontpack-gfsdidot/GFSDidot-BoldItalic.pfb: GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/type1/tex-fontpack-gfsdidot/GFSDidot-Bold.pfb: GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/type1/tex-fontpack-gfsdidot/GFSDidot-Italic.pfb: GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/type1/tex-fontpack-gfsdidot/GFSDidot-Regular.pfb: GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/GFSDidot-BoldItalic.pfb: GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/GFSDidot-Bold.pfb: GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/GFSDidot-Italic.pfb: GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/GFSDidot-Regular.pfb: GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/G/GFSDidot-BoldItalic.pfb: GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/G/GFSDidot-Bold.pfb: GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/G/GFSDidot-Italic.pfb: GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/G/GFSDidot-Regular.pfb: GFS Didot Rg:style=Regular

I am using

fontconfig     2.3.1-2      generic font configuration library
libfreetype6   2.1.7-2.4    FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files

cheerio
ralf