[XeTeX] wrong font match and missing characters

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Fri Jun 9 22:57:43 CEST 2006

Ralf Stubner wrote:
> Pablo Rodríguez <oinos at web.de> writes:
>
>> Although it worked fine with version 0.992, now the roman version is
>> replaced with the bold one and Greek glyphs seem to be missing from the
>> font (log file attached).
>
> I can reproduce the problem with the bold fonts here. However, in my
> case I get bold greek glyphs. Using \setromanfont{GFS Didot} instead of
> \setromanfont{GFS Didot Rg}, the regular weight is used. I am also using
> XeTeX 0.994a but haven't updated fontspec yet (still using v1.9a).
> Unfortunately GFS Didot has ae => æ enabled by default. Hence it is
> probably better to use \setromanfont[Ligatures=NoCommon]{GFS Didot}.

I guess you have used the TrueType version of GFS Didot, that makes ae >
æ by default. The TrueType version has also an incorrect character
mapping (try to type ä ö ü ß with it selected). The OpenType version has
both bugs (and others) fixed.

With the OpenType version the bold version problem disappears.

Greetings,

Pablo