[XeTeX] wrong font match and missing characters

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jun 9 12:53:37 CEST 2006

On 9 Jun 2006, at 8:02 am, Ralf Stubner wrote:

> Pablo Rodríguez <oinos at web.de> writes:
>
>> Although it worked fine with version 0.992, now the roman version is
>> replaced with the bold one and Greek glyphs seem to be missing
>> from the
>> font (log file attached).
>
> I can reproduce the problem with the bold fonts here. However, in my
> case I get bold greek glyphs. Using \setromanfont{GFS Didot}
> instead of
> \setromanfont{GFS Didot Rg}, the regular weight is used. I am also
> using
> XeTeX 0.994a but haven't updated fontspec yet (still using v1.9a).

The fontspec version shouldn't matter, as finding fonts is handled by
xetex itself. (I haven't updated to Will's latest release yet,
either, but will include it next time I package things.)

I've tried GFS Didot (both the .otf and .ttf releases -- which are
you using?) on my SuSE 10 system, and so far I haven't seen this
problem; I get the expected faces, and the Greek characters appear
fine. But I suspect there's a certain element of (unwanted)
randomness going on here, especially as Ralf reports different
results with the two versions of the family name.

Looking at the font files, the names "GFS Didot Rg" and "GFS Didot"
should both work, as all faces provide both these family names
(though I would say "GFS Didot" is preferable). And the style
information seems reasonable, so xetex should be able to find the
regular, bold, italic, bold-italic versions correctly, regardless of
which family name you give.

Pablo, what Linux distro are you using, and did you install a binary
xetex package (if available for your system), or compile from source?

I wonder if there could be an issue with fontconfig and/or freetype
library versions that could explain why we see different behavior.
Could you check what versions you have installed?