[XeTeX] XeTeX Linux: 8r.enc not found.

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Jun 9 09:29:49 CEST 2006

Lorenz Haas <lorenz at lorenz-haas.de> writes:

> XeTeX does not found the 8r encoding: ** ERROR ** Could not find encoding
> file "8r". But 'pdflatex' found it and compile fine. 8r.enc located
> at: /usr/share/texmf-tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/psnfss/8r.enc, in my localtexmf!

TEXMFLOCAL would be /usr/local/share/texmf, the above file is in
TEXMFDIST.

> Where does XeTeX search it?

Actually, I don't think it is XeTeX  but xdvipdfmx which does not find
8r.sty. You can test this by calling separately XeTeX with the -no-pdf
option and xdvipdfmx on the resulting xdv file. I would expect that only
the second step fails. With respect to search paths, what is the output
of the following commands

kpsewhich texmf.cnf
egrep ^ENCFONTS $(kpsewhich texmf.cnf)
egrep ^TEXPSHEADERS $(kpsewhich texmf.cnf)

?

cheerio
ralf