[XeTeX] Why do I get small caps/random font?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 15:12:42 CEST 2006

On 6/5/06, William Adams wrote:
> Gerben put a lot of effort into merging all of Latin Modern into a
> set of three .dfont files --- are those the ones under discussion here?
>
> If not, if you've got access to Mac OS X could you try them?

I know very few people with a Mac around here (but none of them well
enough so that I could ask them for a favour).

On 6/5/06, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:
> I think some reorganization of the family could help, especially if
> this can include moving things like Small Caps into a font feature
> rather than a separate face, but of course the LM project has roots
> in the legacy (La)TeX way of doing things, where separate fonts are
> used (and the whole issue of managing the family is pushed into the
> LaTeX support package). I think the LM team will be open to
> considering such things, but need to think it all through carefully
> before I'll be ready to make concrete suggestions to them.

But wait a minute: isn't XeTeX currently the only TeX system that is
able to use OpenType version of Latin Modern anyway? Or perhaps the
other way around: wasn't the OpenType version of Latin Modern made for
the users of XeTeX and other applications outside the TeX world?
(pdfTeX is going to support them too, but Taco who is in charge of it
isn't tied to LaTeX either.)

I don't even know if the authors of LM are using the OpenType version
of their fonts by themselves.

I neither have any serious application to support the usage of most
fancy features of fonts, neither do I have such fancy fonts or any
deep knowledge about them.

But I would bet that the Polish guys are open to suggestions and ready
to adapt the fonts, if only someone would explain them how exactly to
support all the features (small caps, optical sizes) properly.

For the time being I'll change the definitions, but it would be really
great if the font would be improved in that respect.

Thanks for explanation,
    Mojca