[XeTeX] Problem with tremas

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Jun 6 13:18:40 CEST 2006

On 6 Jun 2006, at 12:08 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 6 juin 06 à 12:53, Marc Pautrel a écrit :
>
>> In fact, I use XeTeX only to have easily the Garamond, Baskerville,
>> and
>> others beautiful Mac OS X fonts in LaTeX
>>
>> All my files were in latin1, so I must convert it in UTF, convert the
>> TeX headers, etc. etc.
>
> Not really: in case you're using XeLaTeX, just make sure the xunicode
> package is loaded (so as to remap \'e to é, for example) and your
> fonts are loaded with the mapping=tex-text modifier (so that -- is
> remapped to the UTF-8 en-dash –, for example).

This would work if the input files are plain ASCII, using \" for
trema/umlaut/dieresis, etc, but it won't help if they are in fact
Latin-1, using Latin-1 accented characters for ï, etc.

If that's the case, it would be possible to use \XeTeXinputencoding
"Latin1" to tell XeTeX to convert the Latin-1 byte values to Unicode,
but in general I would recommend moving to Unicode as the default
text encoding whenever possible.