[XeTeX] (no subject)

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 16:32:20 CEST 2006

On 05/06/2006, at 22:36 , Shunichi Amano wrote:

> When I compile the following, I get Hoefler as I want,  but not Skia.
> Is this normal? If so, is there a way to get small caps of arbitrary
> fonts?

Small Caps in the context of fontspec mean, specifically, specially
designed characters accessed with a font feature. So only certain
fonts will support it.

"Fake" small caps, where uppercase letters are scaled down (and
perhaps letterspaced a little) aren't supported; there isn't really a
way you could do that robustly from within XeTeX, I suspect (and I
think that's a good thing! Fake small caps look terrible.)

> The doc of fontspec says that "Letters=SmallCaps" works for AAT
> fonts. But I don't know how to tell a font is AAT.

I'm going to have to revise the fontspec documentation extensively
now that XeTeX on Linux is released. (I don't know if you're on
Linux, but anyway.) Bruno's suggestion of looking in AAT-info and
OpenType-info is probably the most useful.

Will