[XeTeX] Embedding of fonts from included graphics

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Thu Jun 1 18:58:19 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:

> No. You'll find that "iff" has the same effect, or even "jiffy". Or
> "office", but not "orifice". As far as I can tell from a few
> experiments, any "ff", "ffi", or "ffl" ligature causes the problem.
> But "fi" and "fl" don't. Bizarre.

Times font sets are often missing some or all of the ligatures.  This is
especially, but not uniformly, true, on MS operating systems, using
Acrobat.  Someone else will know the history of how this came to be, but
all I know is that some ligatures work and some don't, and the problems
are apparent on some computers and not on others.  You can overcome this
by including the (entire) Times font in your output file.  In order to
do this, you often have to do something extraordinary, I assume because
the history of Postscript has led developers to assume that Times is
everywhere.

I'm reading this list in anticipation of using XeTeX, and haven't become
a heavy user yet, so I can't speak to how to deal with the problem with
xdv and dv2pdf or whatever it is.  On the Tex->dvips->ps2pdf system, you
can deal with it like this:

  dvips -Pdownload35  xxx.dvi

Otherwise the default is to include all fonts in the output file
*except* the 35 basic PS fonts.  Which aren't as basic as the 14
even-more-basic PS fonts, among which Times is one.  I bet if you do it
with a more exotic font, the problem goes away.  Or you can figure out
how to include the font (and include the whole thing, not just the
glyphs that are thought to be necessary, which is a typical
optimization).

So someone else can translate this suggestion into the XeTeX tools.

Hope this helps,

 -tom