[XeTeX] Embedding of fonts from included graphics

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 1 12:40:14 CEST 2006

Something odd I just noticed (because of imminent deadlines, I won't
be able to investigate further). It seems (?) specific to Mac OS X.

Fonts embedded in PDF files included via \includegraphics in LaTeX
documents are displayed fine in TeXShop and Preview, but are replaced
by empty boxes in Adobe Reader and Acrobat. This happens with XeTeX,
but not with pdfTeX; this happens when the PDF files have been
converted from EPS originals through GhostScript, either by dragging
them onto TeXShop (which I think calls ps2pdf) or by applying
epstopdf, but not when they have been converted by applying pstopdf
(aka Apple's Distiller) or by opening in Preview (which invokes
pstopdf behind the scene) then saving to PDF.

Thus, in other words, it seems XeTeX does not deal with embedded
fonts in a way that Reader or Acrobat is happy about, when these
fonts reside in a PDF file produced by GhostScript. Or is this a
matter of not having configured GhostScript at all (standard i-
Installer install, no customization)? Or does this mean the PDF
graphics does not have properly embedded fonts, but that Preview and
TeXShop use the OS X fonts of the same names to replace these? Or is
this an encoding problem?

There is nothing special about the embedded fonts here, only Times-
Roman, -Italic and -BoldItalic.

Example of things going wrong (XeTeX with fontspec + PDF graphics
produced by dragging onto TeXShop + XeTeX PDF output viewed in Acrobat):