[XeTeX] suppressing common ligatures and kerning

Florian Grammel grammel at gmx.net
Tue Jul 25 15:55:25 CEST 2006

In LaTeX the command \/ suppresses common ligatures, e.g.. in
composites like germ. Auf\/lauf.

Doing so in XeLaTeX gives me way too big space between f and l -- I
supposed, that this is because the space added is specific to the CM-
fonts.

The fontspec-documentation suggests putting a zero-width kern in
between, which also works fine, apart from the fact that f and l now
overlap each other. Adding an fl-kerning-pair to the font seems the
right thing to do to me -- but how would I redefine the \/-command to
work with this?

I'm looking for a way to let
x\/y
stand for
\addfontfeature{Ligatures=NoCommon}xy\addfontfeature{Ligatures=Common}

Could any of you give me a hint?

Or would there be another -- more elegant? -- solution to produce the
right spacing?

Thanks in advance,
Florian.