[XeTeX] Hyperref problem

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Jul 21 01:49:51 CEST 2006

On 21/07/2006, at 6:24 AM, jropers at freesurf.fr wrote:

> I confirm that no matter the option I put in
> \documentclass[dvipdfm]{article} : [dvipdfm] or [dvipdfmx] or nothing,
> glyphs are changed to squares in the bookmarks as soon as the first
> accented character occurs in the string of \section{text}.

I can believe that.
Can you send a short example, along with the .out file that results.

My guess is that hyperref's  \HyPsd@@ConvertToUnicode  macro is not
sophisticated enough to know how to convert UTF8 multi-byte characters
into the double-octal notation that it uses for Unicode code-points.

If those characters were active (i.e. essentially macros) then
you would need to supply alternative expansions to get into that
form when a Bookmark is being processed.
I do this for mathematical symbols with pdfTeX .

However this method is not available for non-active UTF8 characters.

A different thread today, about  xeruby.sty  addresses the same
problem, doesn't it ?

> Thanks
>
> Jacques.

Hope this helps,