[XeTeX] xunicode.sty bug

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Jul 18 12:03:49 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> writes:

>> Ux00AD  soft hyphen
>
> This is the Unicode character that means essentially the same as
> TeX's "\-". A non-printing layout control that indicates a potential
> break point, not a visible character in its own right. If the line
> actually breaks there, the appropriate visible manifestation is
> script/language-dependent; a common default would be to insert U+2010
> before the break, but this is not universally correct.

I vaguely remember that there are some discussions concerning soft
hyphen being nonprinting or not. Might have been on
<URL:http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/shy.html>. I don't have a clear
opinion here at the moment. It is a printing character in fonts like
MinionPro or Charis SIL.

>> Also, looking at section 7.5.4 (textcomp) of The LaTeX
>> Companion, 2nd ed.  I see many more LaTeX commands that
>> xunicode.sty does not yet support.
>> e.g.  \capitalacute  (as distinct from \' ) and similar
>> commands for other accents
>>   --- for XeTeX I guess these should be the same, leaving it
>> up to the font to decide on the rendering.
>
> Probably. What is the difference supposed to be? (I don't have a
> LaTeX Companion.)

Typically a flatter version of accents acute and grave are used for
uppercase letters. This is a purely presentational thing that indeed
should be left to the font.

cheerio
ralf