[XeTeX] xunicode.sty bug

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Jul 18 04:01:49 CEST 2006

Hi Toralf,

On 18/07/2006, at 1:38 AM, Toralf Senger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is a tiny Bug with xunicode.sty: \textminus is wrongly mapped
> to the
> hyphen-minus glyph by xunicode.sty. The 'minus' of \textminus must
> have the width of 'plus'
>
> Before Ross issues an updated version of xunicode.sty, you can
> patch it yourself by replacing
>
> \DeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x00AD}{\textminus}
> by
> \DeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x2212}{\textminus}

Yep; I accept that that's a mistake.
I've always been confused about the roles of the
various dash/hyphen/minus characters:

Ux002D  hypen-minus    (the ASCII  -  character)
Ux00AD  soft hyphen
Ux2010  hyphen
Ux2011  non-breaking hyphen
Ux2012  figure dash      how wide is this ???
Ux2013  endash           as from  --
Ux2014  emdash           as from  ---
Ux2015  horizontal bar   how wide is this ???
Ux2212  minus

UxFE58  small emdash
UxFE63  small hyphen-minus
UxFF0D  full-width hyphen-minus

In particular, just what distinguishes "soft" hyphen
from the others.  Are there LaTeX macro-names for the
different kinds of hyphen, in any commonly-used package?

  amsmath  has a \nobreakdash  command that must be used
*before* a hyphen or dash to suppress the possibility of
a line-break. But it doesn't insert a character itself.
It's definition could be rewritten to turn a Ux002D
into Ux2011 .

textcomp.sty  has two extra dashes which may correspond
to the figure-dash and horiz-bar:
   \textthreequartersemdash
   \texttwelveudash
If so, which is which, and why ?

Also, looking at section 7.5.4 (textcomp) of The LaTeX
Companion, 2nd ed.  I see many more LaTeX commands that
xunicode.sty does not yet support.
e.g.  \capitalacute  (as distinct from \' ) and similar
commands for other accents
  --- for XeTeX I guess these should be the same, leaving it
up to the font to decide on the rendering.

> Cheers,
> TS

Thanks to anyone who can help sort out this mess.

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au