[XeTeX] accented characters coming out blank

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jul 17 23:24:45 CEST 2006

On 17 Jul 2006, at 10:05 pm, jropers at freesurf.fr wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed Xetex under WinXp. I am slowly progressing toward a
> fully working installation.
>
> As of now, although I succeed in choosing fonts (fontspec pkg) , all
> accented characters (french) come out as 'blanks'.
>
> I am obviously doing something wrong... but I can't figure out what.

How are the accented characters entered in your source text? If
you're using the "traditional" TeX conventions of \'{e}, \c{c}, etc.,
then you need to load the xunicode package to redefine these so that
they access the actual Unicode characters.

And if you're using the actual accented characters in the source,
then you should ensure your text is in Unicode (UTF-8) encoding, not
an old-style codepage like Windows CP1252, and do *not* use a package
like inputenc, as XeTeX handles the Unicode directly.

HTH,