[XeTeX] Package geometry with XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jul 17 09:19:41 CEST 2006

On 17 Jul 2006, at 2:18 am, jeffdod at netzero.net wrote:

> After experimenting with this a great deal, I found that it is not
> specific to XeTeX. The problem occurs also with LaTeX. I rebuilt my
> scripts from the ground up, adding things one-at-a-time to see at what
> point the problem occurs. It seems that the problem is the "para"
> option to the "footmisc" package. All margins work perfectly with the
> geometry package until you turn on paragraph-style footnotes. At that
> point, many pages of output have footnotes that literally run off of
> the bottom of the page, and all pages have a top margin that is too
> far
> down the page.

I don't know any details about this stuff, but I think some LaTeX
packages don't handle large numbers/sizes of footnotes well. Have you
tried using the "bigfoot" package to handle them instead?

> I don't know enough about LaTeX/XeTeX to tell whether the problem
> is in
> the geometry package or footmisc. Also, I tried other footnote
> packages
> (manyfoot, etc.) and I tried manually setting my margins and setting
> them with the typearea package as well, with the same results.
>
> Is this simply an unsolvable problem? I will try to work up a very
> brief example that illustrates the problem, and then post it, although
> perhaps this is not the right place to post such a thing since the
> problem is not XeTeX specific.

Yes, it sounds as though a general LaTeX support forum would be the
better place -- or even file a bug report on the specific package(s)
that give poor results, once you have clearly identified the culprits.