[XeTeX] xetex on mac 10.4 with fink tetex distribution; cmr fonts not found

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jul 14 09:12:03 CEST 2006

On 14 Jul 2006, at 3:51 am, Robert Felty wrote:

> I have been using latex for some time now with much pleasure. I just
> recently discovered xetex, and was quite pleased with the ability to
> use additional fonts on my computer. However, when trying to compile
> the xetex-sample2e.tex file provided with the xetex distribution, I
> get errors saying that it cannot several of the computer modern fonts
> needed to display math, e.g.
> *** font cmsy7 not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
> substitute Helvetica glyphs
>
> *** font cmex10 not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
> substitute Helvetica glyphs
>
> I tried running texhash and updmap[-sys] and this did not seem to
> help. Sure enough, when looking at my psfonts.map file, there is
> nothing about computer modern fonts. I looked at some other
> psfonts.map on one of my university's linux servers, and there were
> all sorts of computer modern font mappings in the file. I tried
> adding some of these to my own file in ~/.texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/
> updmap/psfonts.map such as this
> cmr10 CMR10 <cmr10.pfb
> cmmi10 CMMI10 <cmmi10.pfb

I'm afraid I have never used Fink's tex package (I had the impression
it is not as up-to-date or widely used as gwTeX), so I know little
about installing xetex with it. I do know that others have done it
successfully, but some manual tweaking of file locations, paths,
etc., may be involved. It sounds like this is what you've found.

> Then when running xelatex I got the following warnings:
> WARNING: Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in the
> correct format required by the Adobe Type 1 Font Format specification.
>
> although it seems that the glyphs show up fine in the pdf.

This message is generated by CoreGraphics when xdv2pdf (the PDF-
generating driver for xetex) uses .pfb fonts; it appeared in Tiger
(not in earlier OS releases), and seems to be harmless (but
annoying). I don't know any way to deal with this at present.
Unfortunately, OS X does not natively handle .pfb fonts, so xdv2pdf
uses some tricks to get them to work, and this is not officially
supported.

A future xetex release will have the option to use xdvipdfmx as a
driver instead, and this will no longer arise, as it generates the
PDF and embeds the fonts, etc., without using CoreGraphics.