[XeTeX] Hyphenation again…

Florian Grammel grammel at gmx.net
Thu Jul 13 17:54:04 CEST 2006

Dear all,

I've been pulling my hair out all day, because my self-defined
hyphenation-exceptions would partly stop working after migrating a
project started in LaTeX to XeLaTeX. Now I think, I've pinned down
the problem, but I have still no clue what to do about it… might be
any of you have suggestion? Am I missing something here?

When I compile the nonsense-example below with LaTeX, the defined
hyphenation-rules are properly used in both the paragraphs and the
exceptions included by \ger{} and \fre{} respectivly: The hyphenation
neatly changes twice in each paragraph.

Using XeLaTeX, only the \selectlanguage{}-command works and sets the
hyphenation for the whole paragraph –- the exceptions are ignored.

\foreignlanguage is ignored in the same way.
This seems not to be language-specific.
I'm using up-to-date teTeX (i-installer), babel, XeTeX and fontspec
on 10.4.7 (PPC).

Another (minor) issue is, that all use of babel's Icelandic in
XeLaTeX seems to hyphenate just fine, but always produces the error-
message:

(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/babel/icelandic.ldf)
Runaway argument?
{\sob {ҽ{.7}{0}{0}{0}} \DeclareTextCommand {\eob }{T1}{\sob {e}{1}{0
\ETC.
! File ended while scanning use of \@argdef.
<inserted text>
                 \par