[XeTeX] STIX Fonts

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jul 13 17:47:44 CEST 2006

On 13 Jul 2006, at 4:24 pm, Faisal Moledina wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I just noticed that the STIX Fonts Project has just delivered their
> final glyph.  From the website:
>
> "On 10 July, the STI Pub group received the final delivery of
> requested glyphs for the STIX Fonts Project. This final set is being
> reviewed by the STI Pub Technical Review Committee, and packaging
> instructions for the beta test of the fonts are being prepared.
> Tables of STIX glyphs will begin to appear on this website within the
> next few weeks, and the beta font set will begin to be constructed."
>
> I can't wait for the beta.  Very exciting, in my opinion!
>
> http://www.stixfonts.org
>
> Faisal Moledina
> faisal.moledina at gmail.com

This might be a suitable moment to mention that XeTeX 0.995, when it
appears, will include new extensions allowing Unicode character codes
to be used as math characters. \XeTeXmathcharcode, \XeTeXmathchardef,
etc. will allow access to any Unicode character supported by an
OpenType math font, and to an increased number of math families. So
it may become possible to use the STIX fonts in Unicode-encoded
OpenType form.

Still lacking at present: a mechanism to provide variable-size
operators and delimiters from fonts used without TFM files.