[XeTeX] Can't activate hyphenation for Unicode polytonic Greek

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Wed Jul 12 12:34:34 CEST 2006

Hello.

This is what I suggest to do with "grchyph.tex". I suppose it would
work with any other Greek patterns, provided they include \language=
\greek or something equivalent.

After being compiled into a format, patterns can be activated with
the command:

	\language=\greek

In LaTeX, if your document is entirely in Greek, you can write the
command
in your preamble, for instance:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{book}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont{Lucida Grande}
\language=\greek

\begin{document}

Ἐν Λέσβῳ θηρῶν ἐν ἄλσει
Νυμφῶν θέαμα εἶδον κάλλιστον ὧν
εἶδον· εἰκόνα γραπτήν,
ἱστορίαν ἔρωτος.

\end{document}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

If there is another language in your source file, you can define a new
font instance and a new command, for instance:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{book}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage[frenchb]{babel}
\setromanfont{Lucida
Grande}                                              % font
% "Lucida Grande" with French hyphenation called by "Babel"
\newfontinstance\greekfont{Lucida Grande}
\newcommand{\gr}[1]{{\language=\greek\greekfont{#1}}}     % the same
% font with Greek hyphenation called by the command
% "\language=\greek"

\begin{document}

\gr{Ἐν Λέσβῳ θηρῶν ἐν ἄλσει
Νυμφῶν θέαμα εἶδον κάλλιστον ὧν
εἶδον· εἰκόνα γραπτήν,
ἱστορίαν ἔρωτος.}

Alors que je chassais à Lesbos dans un bois consacré aux Nymphes,
je vis le plus beau spectacle que j'aie jamais vu: une image peinte, une
histoire d'amour.

\end{document}

It works for me.

Best wishes,