[XeTeX] Can't activate hyphenation for Unicode polytonic Greek

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Jul 11 23:38:00 CEST 2006

On 11 Jul 2006, at 6:47 pm, jeffdod at netzero.net wrote:

> I am having trouble activating Unicode hyphenation for polytonic
> Greek. Here is what I have done:
>
> I obtained the hyphenation file "uni-grhyph.tex" off of the internet
> and place this file in my texmf/tex/generic/hyphen folder.
>
> I edited the language.dat file and changed both the polygreek and
> ancientgreek entries to use "uni-grhyph.tex" instead of "grhyph.tex."
>
> I rebuilt xelatex.fmt by executing "fmtutil --byfmt xelatex."
>
> These steps did rebuild the xelatex.fmt file. However, when I compile
> my Unicode Greek document with XeLaTeX, it still comes up with
> zillions of Overfull \hbox's, and has many words extending into the
> right margin.
>
> Did I leave out a step somewhere?

Did you specify the use of the Greek language for hyphenation in your
source? The .fmt file may contain the patterns for many languages,
but only one is active for any given piece of text, and the default
is English.

\usepackage[greek]{babel} ought to be one way to do this, but I
suspect Babel may interfere with Unicode Greek text, as it is closely
tied to legacy input and font encodings. Perhaps a LaTeX expert here
could tell us the proper way to select a different hyphenation
language *without* loading the Babel package?

(I think an unofficial way would be to insert:

   \language=\csname l at greek\endcsname

before the text, but there ought to be a normal user-level command
that accomplishes this.)