[XeTeX] XeTeX Logo Problems and Other Questions

Robert Spence spence at saar.de
Sat Jul 8 23:16:15 CEST 2006

Jeff,

On 08 Jul 2006, at 19:16 , jeffdod at netzero.net wrote:

> I plan to release this edition as a free download off of the internet
> (in PDF format), and possibly in print form, either at-cost or very
> low
> cost. But because it will be available electronically, I don't see any
> need to offer only one font. People seem to have very clear
> preferences
> when it comes to Greek fonts, so I figured I would offer several.

Have you seen this site, which generates extracts (up to 200 verses)
from the Hebrew Bible for you on demand, giving you a choice of 3
different fonts and 7 different point-sizes (but with some unsolved
kerning problems if you opt for vocalization plus musical accents)?

http://exc.com/CL/Tanach/Tanach.cgi

> In any case, XeTeX is what makes this project possible. I want quite a
> bit of flexibility in terms of choosing and changing the fonts, and
> that just wasn't possible in LaTeX. I can't even tell you how much of
> my hair is lying on the floor next to my computer because I pulled it
> all out trying to make TTF fonts work properly in LaTeX.

Not sure how much pulling out of hair would be involved in
implementing the CGI scripts, though...

-- Robert Spence
Applied Linguistics
Saarland University