[XeTeX] weird kerning with GFS Didot's italic face

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Jul 6 19:35:34 CEST 2006

Pablo Rodríguez <oinos at web.de> writes:

> Is this caused by a bug in FreeType that doesn't handle the italic
> kerning right or is it a bug in the fonts themselves?

That's a bug in the font. The 'We' and 'Vo' kerning in the italic font
is way to large. For the bold font, the right side bearing of the 'M' is
to large (there is no 'Me' kerning, but try words with other vowls
following M).

I have no idea why this does not occur on Windows. Maybe GPOS kerning
isn't supported in the application you used?

My general impression with the GFS fonts is that while the Greek part is
typically very good, the Latin part isn't. I would suggest using
different fonts for the Latin and the Greek parts.

cheerio
ralf