[XeTeX] Finished testing Adobe OpenType Font Folio on the Mac

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jul 5 15:05:58 CEST 2006

On 5 Jul 2006, at 12:18 pm, William Adams wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2006, at 4:25 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> I doubt the .xdv would show anything -- xetex is finding the font, or
>> it would complain. Most likely xdv2pdf is somehow failing. You might
>> want to run xetex -no-pdf and then xdv2pdf separately in Terminal, so
>> you don't miss any messages (no crash log, I presume?).
>
> No, everything seems to complete okay, it's just that there's no .pdf
> --- is there some temp location I could examine to see if the .pdf is
> there?
>
>> Check console.log for any messages from Quartz, too; if it's not
>> actually crashing, then I wonder if Quartz is somehow unhappy with
>> that font.
>
> Actually, this is happening on w32tex --- works fine on Mac OS X.

Ohhhh.... sorry, misunderstood. In that case I guess xdvipdfmx is
probably failing for some reason. Don't suppose running it manually
from the command line reveals anything?

>> Not much I can do to investigate it, though, as I don't
>> have access to the Adobe collection. Anyone with an Adobe friend care
>> to suggest that they donate a copy for testing purposes? ;)
>
> Have you tried getting in touch with Thomas Phinney? David Lemon once
> suggested I do so for similar reasons. I'd think Adobe would be glad
> of such testing.
>
> Does this mean that the balance of the information I've worked up is
> not useful?
>
> (that Notre Dame LT Std, Pompeijana LT Std, Rusticana LT Std and
> Wiesbaden Swing LT Std set dingbats / borders / ornaments rather than
> text or that ITC Stone Sans Std, ITC Stone Serif Std, New Century
> Schoolbook LT Std, Times LT Std don't set capital letters, or in some
> instances numbers)

It's potentially useful, depending on my finding time to spend on it.

Does this problem of wrong characters occur on all platforms, or only
W32?

> If there's any sort of output from dumperfuser or ttx which'd help
> I'd be glad to (did you get the name tables I'd sent you for the text/
> border fonts?)

Yes, received, but haven't had time to pore over them as yet.

Thanks,